Breast implants have undoubtedly come up in some conversations at least once (or twice) in Singapore. It is in fact one of the popular cosmetic enhancements sought after by women (and some men) not just in Singapore but worldwide. Getting enhancements for the breast is a major life decision and one should of course do some research before making any decisions. Read more to know about your options for breast implants in Singapore.
- What exactly are breast implants?
Breast implants are prosthesis or artificial devices inserted (implanted) surgically in the breasts to augment them. Breast implants is one of the two methods for enhancing the breasts through a surgical procedure known as breast augmentation. The second method of breast augmentation is by fat grafting and involves transfer of body fat from one body part to the breast.. Breast augmentation entails expanding the breast’s size, shape, and fullness. Breast augmentation is done for:
- cosmetic reasons such as to make up for naturally small breasts, to balance out an asymmetrical breast’s structure, to correct for the effects of pregnancy and breastfeeding, such as sagging or drooping;
- reconstructive purposes, such as to replace breasts lost to mastectomy (due to breast cancer).
Breast implants have been used for many years in Singapore and other countries, and are regarded as an older method of breast augmentation than fat transfer, which has only recently been in use. Based on your breast shape and the outcomes you want, it is up to you and your surgeon (a board-certified plastic surgeon in Singapore) to pick which type of implant to use. There are various locations where the incision can be made, and much like with implant selection, you will be able to choose the location of your incision based on your surgeon’s advice. A subpectoral implant, also known as a subglandular implant, is one that sits behind your chest muscles. A subglandular implant, on the other hand, is one that sits behind your breast tissue.
- What are the types of breast implants?
The basic types of breast implants offered in Singapore are saline implants and silicone gel implants. To help you understand the similarities and differences between the two types of breast implants, below is a comparison:
- Both saline implants and silicone gel implants a silicone outer shell.
- Saline implants contain sterile salt water, whereas silicone gel implants contain silicone gel.
- Both saline and silicone gel implants come in a variety of sizes and with smooth or textured shells.
- Silicone gel implants have been designed to feel more like natural breasts and are soft to the touch. Saline implants, on the other hand, are typically more firm.
- For cosmetic purposes, women can get saline implants starting at age 18, while silicone gel implants are only given to those with age of 22 and above.
- For reconstruction, both types of breast implants are accepted at any age.
- Saline implants which have water-like consistency have less viscosity than silicone gel.
- Saline implants can be implanted and filled after placement whereas silicone gel implants are filled before placement on the breast.
- Saline implants are less expensive than silicone ones which will affect how much your breast augmentation will cost in total.
In Singapore, a brand of silicone gel implants known as Motiva Breast Implant is widely-used by surgeons and in fact preferred by many patients.
- What type of breast implant to choose?
There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to consider when choosing between saline or silicone gel breast implants. For your reference, here are the typical advantages and disadvantages of each type of breast implants:
- Advantages of Saline Implants
- When an implant leaks or ruptures, sterile salt water contained in saline implants is a natural substance that the body can quickly absorb.
- Ruptures or leaks of saline implants can be easily detected allowing for the patient to seek immediate medical attention
- Saline implants have a variety of incision options since more saline solution can be injected after the implant has been placed in the breast. This will enable the surgeon to perform a scarless breast augmentation by making incisions in areas of the body that are hidden, such as the armpits.
- The size of the saline implants are flexible and can be adjusted by just adding more of the saline solution helping patients to achieve the appearance they expected.
- Silicone implants are more affordable
- Disadvantages of Saline Implants
- Saline implants look and feel less natural than silicone implants which is not agreeable to most patients as most are seeking a more natural effect.
- Saline implants can cause a ripple-like pattern wherein the sides of the implants are seen through the breasts skin
- Advantages of Silicone Gel Implants
- Silicone gel breast implants are softer in nature and will closely resemble our natural body fat tissue.
- Silicone gel implants offer style (or breast shape) options for the breasts since it has two kinds.
- Silicone gel implants are less likely to cause rippling.
- Disadvantages of Silicone Gel Implants
- An MRI scan will be required to detect ruptures or leaks for Silicone gel implants
- A larger incision will be required during surgery as silicone implants need to be filled before setting into place
It is advisable to discuss your alternatives with a board-certified plastic surgeon in Singapore who can direct you toward the best choice of breast implant for your goals, lifestyle, and physical characteristics. You can request to look at the before-and-after photo collection of the doctor or medical facility to see samples of the outcomes produced with each type of implant.
- How much do breast implants cost in Singapore?
The breast augmentation procedure includes more than simply getting breast implants, so you should prepare to spend for the overall process. The complete process will vary depending on the patient’s needs; a sophisticated operation is likely to cost more. Also, the cost of the surgeon performing the breast augmentation will differ. Healthcare facilities and surgeons that are well-known or in high demand typically charge more than others. Another factor to take into account is the kind of breast implants used. Breast augmentation is expected to cost between $10,000 and $16,000 in Singapore.
Artisan Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery
290 Orchard Road #07-11,
Paragon Medical Suites,
(65) 8129 7887